Seasonal changes always bring new adventures, new momentum, and a resurgence of old viruses like the flu. The flu is an easily contractible virus that can causes infections and is easily passed around all year long. There are ways to help prevent getting sick or at least reduce the side effects if you happen to contract the flu which puts a damper in your fun plans. Let’s discuss easy ways to prevent getting the flu, so you can maximize your fun and enjoy the season!
Where Does the Flu Originate?
But first, how did the flu get started? Influenza, also known as "the flu," is a respiratory infection caused by influenza viruses. Sneezing, coughing, or talking near an infected person can spread the flu. Droplets from an infected person travel through the air and land directly on you or other surfaces you may contact, contaminating you.
How to Lower Your Risk of Getting the Flu
All of this sounds awful. So, what can you do to lessen your chances of catching the flu? Wash your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds with warm water and soap, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers, avoid touching your face, and conceal a cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow to prevent the transmission of the flu or other diseases.
Foods that are old, expired, or inadequately cooked should not be consumed. Cleaning surfaces frequently, especially those that are frequently touched, and avoiding crowds or social distancing are other ways to avoid contracting the flu. If you know someone who is experiencing symptoms, consider postponing your plans for a week until they have felt better for a few days.
Long-term immunity is boosted by eating a healthy, balanced diet, which can help you avoid acquiring the flu. Your body can achieve more when you give it the fuel it needs to fulfill tasks, such as that weekend bike ride on your new e-bike you've been looking forward to all week. Diets that are well-balanced give your body with the vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats, and carbohydrates it requires to function properly. When your body is working properly, your immune system is able to act efficiently to battle illnesses.
If You Get the Flu, Here's How to Get Rid of It
When you get the flu, the best method to decrease your symptoms is to boost your immune system in any manner you can. Exercising is one of the best methods to strengthen your immune system, and riding your e-bike is one of the most enjoyable ways to do so! Exercise with moderate intensity will enhance your immunity in a variety of ways, in addition to enhancing your mood by producing "happy hormones" like dopamine.
A study published in 2019 discovered a link between exercise and cellular immunity. What exactly does this imply? Moderate intensity activity (such as riding your e-bike) for 60 minutes boosts immune cell circulation, allowing them to better prepare, detect, and protect against contaminated cells.
Exercise makes you fatigued, which should aid in better sleep. When it comes to your immune system, sleep quality is crucial since lack of sleep can diminish your natural antibodies that fight infections like influenza, which causes "the flu." Exercise reduces stress by decreasing the release of stress chemicals such as cortisol, which have a detrimental influence on your mind and body.
Exercise Advice and Techniques
The most effective exercise is the one you perform. To keep you going back for more, it must be enjoyable and natural. Here are some pointers to keep in mind as you prepare to ride your Electric Mountain Bike!
1. Dress appropriately for the occasion. Depending on where you live, you may get cool mornings that warm up as the sun rises, so layers are recommended. When it's cold outside, layers keep you warm while allowing you to remove or unzip layers to avoid overheating. A higher body temperature can help you fight infection, but it can also lead to heat stroke or heat exhaustion, which can land you in the hospital.
2. Exercising outside incorporates several flu preventive strategies, including exercise, avoiding crowds, and avoiding touching your face. It also takes you out of the house to appreciate the natural environment.
3. Take the whole family to build a strong bond and instill an active trait from a young age. Just strap your kid into their baby bike seat and get cruising!
4. Find something fun! Whether it is Pilates, yoga, boxing, Zumba, or some e-bike exercise, just find something you enjoy doing. If you have low mobility, bad knees, or back, cruise on your all terrain e-bike. You can finish that 10-mile loop without as much strain on your knees as a non-motorized bike.
5. Wear a bike helmet. Always wear a helmet when you’re riding your e-bike. You may feel steady and think nothing bad will happen, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Your brain makes the rest of your body function, so you want to protect it.
Your pleasant weekend plans would be ruined if you became sick with the flu. So, take a few extra precautions to avoid being sick, such as washing your hands frequently with soap for 20 seconds, not touching your face, eating well-balanced meals, and getting moving in whatever sort of exercise you enjoy. Get your body moving today by walking for 30 minutes, taking a class, or riding your e-bike on your favorite trails to escape your daily routine.